Sunday, October 31, 2021

Directions

 It has been a little while since I have last posted, I really hate feeling like I am repeating myself.  This road is long and hard.  Its going to be, that is without question.  However, the lack of resources for someone in our position is astounding. Harping on it doesn't help.  You know what does help? Doing something about it.  

As I have mentioned before, my bachelors degree is in Psychology.  I graduated Summa Cum Laude, yep I am bragging here a little bit, about a year ago.  A couple of friends asked me if I was going to work on my Masters degree after that.  I said no.  NO.  I finished my degree in 3.5 years (I double majored in Creative Writing and Psychology, no stop, you're amazing) I was exhausted, I had just gotten my real estate license.  Ok, yes, I am an overachiever and I am sure there is something there psychological to unpack.  It didn't sound so crazy in my head, but there it is.  

So, now a year later, my kids overheard me talking to someone and semi counseling them. Not purposely, it just happens sometimes.  And they asked me, why wasn't I a therapist? This sparked an idea, re-sparked a thought.  What could I do with my Bachelors degree.  Nothing? Ok.  What could I do to ACTUALLY do something? Masters degree? Ok, yeah that's doable.  I did a little searching, filled out a form for more information, and received a phone call in less than 5 minutes. Man, SNHU is on top of things. What it boiled down to, was there is a Masters program for Mental Health Counseling, 60 hours, + intern hours, + practicum hours.  I could actually do this.  I can do this. 

I thought about it.  I mean, I really thought about this.  But you know what? It makes sense.  Yes, its a lot of work, yes, there will probably be a thesis involved.  I already know what it will be on, Anorexia in boys and men.  I am planning a documentary about this.  The amount of information revolving around the male gender when it comes to eating disorders is so incredibly lacking, its insane.  I want to change that.  I want to create resources.  I want other parents in our position to be able to find therapy and treatment and feel hope.  

We don't have that just yet.  Hope is a hard word to come by in our vocabulary.  I want to make sure other families after us have more hope than they could have imagined.  And while I can't counsel my own child, that would be a conflict of interests, I want to give others what we had to work so hard to find.  

Much Love.  

No comments: